The traditions of political science education in Warsaw dates back much further than the history of the Faculty of Political Science and International Studies at Warsaw University (formerly the Faculty of Journalism and Political Science). The first School of Political Science was founded in 1917.
In 1967, the Institute of Political Science at the University of Warsaw was established as part of the then Department of Philosophy, based on the faculty of a non-faculty unit which already existed, which was the Political Science Department. In 1968, as part of organizational changes at the university, political science moved, together with philosophy, sociology, and economics, to the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Warsaw.
The Faculty of Political Science and International Studies is a continuation (from September 1, 2016) of the Faculty of Journalism and Political Science, which began its operations in 1975. This unit carried out teaching in the fields of journalism and political science. The 1970s was a period of dynamic development at the Faculty, with the expansion of its internal structure and the addition of the Institute of International Relations in 1976, as well as the Institute of Social Policy in 1977. In 2012, the Institute of European Studies was created.
The new name of the Faculty of Political Science and International Studies, is the result of the Institute of Journalism being separated from the Faculty on September 1st, 2016.