DEPARTMENT OF POLITICAL HISTORY
The Department of Political History was established in 2019 as a separate organizational unit within the structure of the Faculty of Political Science and International Studies. It is a continuation of the previously functioning Department of Recent Political History. The Department’s team conducts research (political history, history of security, history of the political system and administration, social history), didactic and popularizing activities.
- Department employees have important positions in the structure of the University authorities:
– Daniel Przastek, Ph.D. is the Dean of the Faculty of Political Science and International Studies of the University of Warsaw and is a member of the Senate of the University of Warsaw;
– Seweryn Dmowski, Ph.D. is a member of the Senate of the University of Warsaw.
- The employees of the Department perform public service in important state positions:
– Błażej Poboży, Ph.D. performs the function of the Undersecretary of State in the Ministry of the Interior and Administration;
– Bartłomiej Zdaniuk, Ph.D. honoris causa is the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Poland to the Republic of Moldova.
The Department team is involved in:
- cooperation with public life institutions (including the Ministry of the Interior and Administration, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Embassy of the Republic of Poland in Moldova, the NATO Military Police Center of Expertise, NATO Force).
- expert activity at the national level in the field of education policy, with particular emphasis on civic education (including the Ministry of Education and Science, Central Examination Commission);
- in substantive work as part of the Stakeholder Council for the field of Political Science
The employees of the Department are members of the program councils of foundations and associations.
- The political history of Poland in the 20th century (with particular focus on the period of the II Republic of Poland)
- The political history of Germany in the 20th century (with particular focus on the period of the Third Reich)
- The political history of Central Asia (with particular focus on the tsarist colonization period, the Soviet period, and the most recent history of independent Kyrgyzstan and Kazakhstan)
- Historical policy
- History of Polish social movements
- History of Polish and universal political institutions (with particular focus on the issues of social and professional self-governments and
- Polish political parties)
- History of international relations (with particular focus on Polish-Belgian, Polish-French, Polish-Moldovan, Polish-Romanian, Polish-Vatican, and Polish-Italian relations)
- Theories of international relations
- The system of the Roman Catholic Church (with particular focus on the issues of Sede Vacante and episcopology)
Scientific activity of employees is combined with teaching as part of the offer of the University of Warsaw and popularization of knowledge in the media space.
Realized research grants:
- International competition in the public discourse in Kyrgyzstan (2001-2014), PRELUDIUM 10, panel: HS5, head: Oliwia Piskowska M.A., content supervisor: Piotr Załęski, Ph.D., 2016–2021;
- Perception of club rivalry by football fans: a comparative analysis of the Visegrad Group countries (Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary), HARMONIA 10, panel: HS6, head: Seweryn Dmowski, Ph.D., 2019–2024.
Popularization of knowledge:
The Department team is responsible for the organization of the Safety and Defense Knowledge Contest. As part of the Main Committee of the Contest, the Department cooperates with Polish academic centers:
- Main School of Fire Service,
- Maria Curie Skłodowska University in Lublin,
- Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań,
- The Naval Academy of the Heroes of Westerplatte in Gdynia,
- The Pedagogical University of National Education Commission in Krakow,
- Jan Kochanowski University in Kielce,
- The University of Lodz,
- The University of Rzeszów,
- The University of Szczecin,
- Academy of Jan Długosz in Częstochowa,
- The University of Warmia and Mazury in Olsztyn,
- The University of Agribusiness in Łomża,
- The University of Wrocław,
- The University of Zielona Góra.